Tuesday, April 9, 2013

McCall's 6564 Misses' Top using Amy Butler Cameo cotton voile fabric

The first time I saw it, I gasped. Amy Butler Cameo fabric, Josephine's Bouquet Ink. In Cotton Voile. How dreamy!

I bought the fabric during a great sale eons ago, just hoping to get enough courage to cut into it and make a summer blouse. I am not one for dry cleaning, so I washed and dried the fabric to mega-shrink it the way I would be laundering, which is haphazard over-drying, typically. So I bought 3 yards.
When I saw this pattern, I thought I might be able to pull it off.
 I chose Blouse D for ultimate sun coverage.

I have a very small bust but thick arms, so I usually have trouble with tight upper sleeves when using my bust or waist measurement. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that. Hopefully with the help of Peggy Sagers, Kenneth King, etc... So, I made a muslin.


I made just a short sleeve and didn't complete the collar or sash, hoping I could get a good idea if it really fit sooner.

 

I struggled where the top of the pleats meet the collar and the back shoulder in some 3-way Bermuda Triangle. Ugh. Hopefully, the collar will roll out enough to cover it.
The sash belt was ridiculously long for my 5'4" frame, so I shortened it. I always shorten the bodice by 1 inch, but how much should I shorten the sash? Where is it supposed to fall? Not at the knees.

The back darts and front pleats are very flattering to any figure, I think. I also liked how fast the sleeve cuffs can be applied since they just go around the gathers with no placket.

2 comments:

  1. I think you have done a lovely job with this blouse, and the voile drapes beautifully. As far as sash length, end it where you feel comfortable - what you have done looks great.

    The fabric is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah Liz! That Amy Butler fabric hides just about any mess up!

    ReplyDelete