Monday, January 23, 2012

Thread Basting a Quilt for the First Time

I've only made a few quilts before, and they were all wall hanging sized, more than 6 years ago. I fell in love with this Stepping Stones project sheet and just had to make it! I finally got the Kona black backing yardage delivered after I had finished the quilt top, and I was ready to baste this little puzzle.


I had never made anything this large, and I was trying to figure out where I would spread it out to pin baste it. I would need to buy basting pins and a Kwik Klip if I decided to do that.

It's still less than 60 inches square, but with apartment living and 2 dogs, it can be a daunting task on the floor.

I stumbled upon Sharon Schamber's You Tube videos and pondered the possibility of using her technique of hand basting (even if machine quilting) with wooden boards on a table, used as the frame. What a revelation!


I wasn't sure it would work for machine quilting (let alone without a longarm), but just look at her stunning quilts!


I realized quickly that she would not steer me astray, even though I am a newbie.

And then, I just happened to read that Mel Brooks of Milly Bee Quilting, in New Zealand, used this method on her lovely quilt, too: Meet Gaia! Wow! This gave me a new resolve!

So I bought a thimble, size 8 DMC white perle cotton, and 2 painted baseboards at Home Depot. I had them shortened to 8 feet, just long enough for this table that I could set up when needed. I followed Sharon's instructions, watching the videos several times.


After the first column of basting, I realized that being left-handed, I should have started on the left side, and not the right, to avoid wasting thread when crossing over between columns. Doh! I'm a slooooow learner.



I was still worried sick that my backing was not tight enough and I would end up with lots of tucks and pleats, but I just stuck with it...


I took a break for dinner and then returned to finish it. Whew!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. I had not see Sharon's method before, so I just went through the YouTube parts 1 and 2. This makes so much sense! I've been going to our town office where we have the big long tables, and shoving 3 together for my big quilts. The centers are SO impossible to reach, and they kill my back trying to do it! I can't wait to get some boards from the hardware store and get started on this! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know if it would work or not, but it quilted beautifully, with no puckers or tucks! Amazing! And our back and knees will be spared!
      I'll post an update soon with pictures.
      Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  2. This is great! I'm glad you tried it too, and took some great photos along the way :) this is defn the method I'll be sticking with for a while to come! Awesome colour combinations by the way too, love the contrast! cant wait to see your update

    ReplyDelete
  3. also, I asked a couple of stall holders at a quilt market last year about the kwik clip tool, and they said honestly, a teaspoon is just as effective, so I keep a old teaspoon in my safety pin container permanently now. works great, scoops up the sharp point and you can tilt it to get leverage to close the pin.. any ways, try it and see what you think!

    Take care
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A teaspoon! Who knew?

      That sounds like a great idea!

      I used to have a Kwik Klip, but I sold everything and need to start over getting essential notions.

      Thanks!

      Delete