Friday, December 23, 2011

"Shirt Off My Bag" Tiny Tote Bags from Fresh Fabric Treats book

Fresh Fabric Treats book has some great projects using Moda fabric jelly rolls, layer cakes, etc.



I used a layer cake of Deb Strain's Meadow Friends fabric by Moda.
My First Tiny Tote

As soon as I saw the project for the "Shirt Off My Bag" Tiny Tote, I knew I had to have it! I have made almost a dozen of them for holiday gifts.

More

More

They're Multiplying!

I made a few modifications to the instructions:
Stay Stitch the inside lining to get a crisp top edge.
  • I edge stitched the front placket and collar points.
  • I stay stitched the top of the lining to the inside seams. 
  • I added a "collar" to the back of the shirt (bag) using the same fabric that was used in the collar.front prairie points. I cut a strip of fabric from the same layer cake layer 10" X 2". Then, I folded it in half, edge stitched, and sewed to top of shirt (bag) before handles were attached.
  • The buttons looked too close together when specified as every 1". I sewed the first button 1 1/2" from the top and then the remaining 4 were placed 1 1'4 inch below the center of the button above it.

Use a seam roll or pressing ham to press afterward for a nice finish.
I will make more of these again.
I would also consider using fabric and buttons from a real shirt, previously worn by that special man in your life. 
First I gotta find the one without tomato sauce. ;?p 

2 comments: